Production can be significantly higher in certain regions of the world; 2009 forecasts for production in Iowa were 11614 kg/ha (185 bu/acre). There is conflicting evidence to support the hypothesis that maize yield potential has increased over the past few decades. This suggests that changes in yield potential are associated with leaf angle, lodging resistance, tolerance of high plant density, disease/pest tolerance, and other agronomic traits rather than increase of yield potential per individual plant.
Which Country Is The Largest Producer Of Maize In The World?
List Of The Top 10 Corn Producing Countries 2021:
1. United States
United States is the world’s most populous country. It is also the leading maize producer on the globe with a total of 96,000,000 acres specially dedicated to maize production. Maize production in the country plays a major role in the country’s economy that range from feeding its huge population to earning revenues through exports. It is estimated that the country’s 20% produce goes to the international market while the rest serves domestic needs. Production capacity of the country currently stands at 377.5 million metric tonnes.
Statistics indicate that of the total country’s produce, 60% is used as feeds in dairy farming, 30% is used for industrial purpose while only 10% is used fro human consumption. Trends indicate that the production of maize in the country has increased at a rate of 1255% within a period of 25 years. Currently, maize production in the country stands at 224.9 million metric tonnes with the figures expected to increase in coming years.
Maize production is among the leading contributors to the GDP. In 2016, maize production earned the country revenues in excess of $892.2 million an amount that indicated a big increase from the previous years. With the favorable temperatures enjoyed through the year, the country enjoys an extended planting season spanning between august and November.
India ranks in the fourth position globally among the largest maize producers. The country gets its crop mainly from the northern states. Uttar Pradesh is the biggest contributor the country’s total maize produce accounting for over 16% of the whole produce in the country annually.
Argentina is a big maize producer ranking in the fifth position globally. Records indicate the country produces over 40 million metric tons of maize. Despite having large acreage for maize production, maize farmers in Argentina receive a big boost from the government and in such way increase their yields accordingly.
Ukraine is a country with expansive stretches of fertile black soil favorable for growing maize. The fertile regions along the red sea provide the country with great farming potential where it produces numerous food producers for its population and export. Despite its small size, the country produces over 39.2 million metric tonnes of maize much of which is exported. According to reliable statistics, Ukraine contributes a whopping 16% of the total maize exports across the globe. Its major markets include European Union, Egypt and South Korea.
Mexico takes the seventh position among the biggest maize producers across the globe. It is one of the leading food products cultivated in the country with much of its produce originating from its central region. Product from this region accounts for over 60% o the total’s country’s production. Mexico enjoys two main seasons for maize production.
The first harvest is the biggest giving a total of 70% of the country’s annual production with the second harvest giving the remaining 30%.
Within the ASEAN Economic Community, Indonesia is the leading maize producer. It ranks in the eighth position among the biggest maize producers. Despite its high production, it is also a big consumer of the product with statistics indicating the country consumes more that it produces.
In the ninth position among the leading maize products is France. Maize is grown through out the country though the biggest portion of its harvest is from the southern parts of the country. Acquitine region produces an average of 21 % to the total country’s harvest while Midi-Pyrenees state contributes 13% of the total harvest in the country’s basket.
10. South Africa
Despite being in a hunger ravaged continent, South Africa is the 10th country in production of the highest maize yields. Most of its production is in the north and northeastern regions of the country. South African farmers plant their crops in the periods between September and December and harvest between the months of April and June. Annual production of maize in South Africa is estimated at more than 15.5 million tonnes.